Man serving papers

Becoming a NYC Process Server

How to Become a NYC Process Server.

A process server is a person that delivers important legal documents to individuals for lawyers or other legal services. It is the job of the process server to deliver the documents while adhering to the laws of the state. If you are interested in becoming a New York process server, there are no educational or training requirements but know that in New York City, there is a surety bond licensing requirement to be met.

Step #1 Apply for License

Apply for your license in New York City if you anticipate serving five or more processes in a year to Manhattan, Brooklyn, the Bronx, Staten Island, and Queens. Apply online or, if you prefer, download and complete the Basic Individual License Application from the NYC Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA).

Step #2 Provide a background check

Step #3 Turn in passport sized photo

  • If you submit your application in-person: applicants can be photographed at the DCA Licensing Center at no cost.
  • If you submit online: applicants can upload an image file of a digital passport photo.

Step #4 Obtain your required Process Server Surety Bond.

This is a Bond that must be maintained per your license. A process server bond is a type of surety bond that protects the courts and the clients you serve.

In New York a Process Server Bond needs to be in the amount of $10,000 for individuals or $100,000 for agencies. The amount you pay for your bond (called the bond premium) is largely dependent on your credit score. Generally, applicants with good credit can secure their bond at a rate of 1-4%. Applicants with not-so-great credit could have to pay up to 15% of the total bond amount.

Step #5 Complete paperwork.

Depending on if you are an agency or an individual, you will have different paperwork.

For a more detailed checklist of all the required paperwork, see the New York City Consumer Affairs website.

Step #6 Pay Licensing fees (A 2.49% convenience fee is added if you submit your application and paperwork online)

Step #7 Submit license application

In person: File in person at DCA Licensing Center 42 Broadway, New York, NY 10004

Online: Click “Apply Online” at New York City Consumer Affairs website.

Keep in mind that your application will be denied if you fail to submit all required documents and If you choose not to obtain a license you will be unable to serve more than 5 processes in New York City which will limit your earning potential.


The NYC Department of Consumer Affairs  recommends Fleischer & Sons Inc. (Formerly Advanced Insurance Services) as a Surety Bonding agency for your consideration, apply online at or visit our office. We are conveniently located at 29 Broadway, Suite 1511 New York, NY 10006 directly across the street from the Department of Consumer Affairs’ office.

For more information, visit us at, live chat with us or call 800.921.1881